Disclaimer

The author hereby refuses to accept responsibility for any liability - legal, mental or otherwise, incurred by any reader during or after encountering any of the material published in these pages. Any resemblance to any person or incident is surely intentional and pejorative to the fullest degree. In case you are offended by derogatory remarks, snide comments and subversive dialogues you are requested to ask yourself if the author would give a damn. The author hopes you grow an apple tree out of your left ear.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

For those about to rock! (I salute you.)

I couldnt help but stare at my friend in pure, unconcealed shock, after what he had to say about my music tastes. Its all crap, he said, no rhythm. Noise. Thats what he called it. Noise. Forgive him, oh Lord, for he does so in ignorance. I thought over it, wondering what could lead him to make such utterly horrifying comments. Lack of exposure? Maybe. What makes us listen to what we do? Franky speaking, 5 years ago, I hated heavy metal. When I finally started with Maiden, friends said I didnt 'look' the type who listens to all that. Whatever that means. Agreed, I may not exactly be the one to grow my hair shoulder length, and pierce my lips *yuck*. I cant see, though, why you have to look like a punk to enjoy such music, but thats beside the point. I generally find I am simply at a loss of words when it comes to why I do it. I mean, how can you say what it feels like when Mustaine lets it rip in 'The Four Horsemen'? Or, to be a bit more subtle, Slash in 'Sweet Child Of Mine'? Awesome stuff.

I have found all music freaks can be classified into the following categories:
1. The genuine rock-lovers: This category is for the people who generally enjoy the music, and know there is a lot more to it than getting loaded, or smashing up stuff.

2. The posers: The kind of people who make sure that everyone who knows them, knows they listen to 'hard rock'. Simbly cuz its 'cool'. Gimme a break.

3. The pop-lovers: No, I am not going to do a pop-bashing show here. I respect them for their choice, considering I was one of them, a few years back. There is nothing wrong in listening to what you like.

4. The rock-haters: This category I resent the most. The kind of people, who just cant see the beauty of such music, and assume everyone who listens to it is a poser. Bull. E.g. my afore mentioned friend. I cant help but feel a twinge of pity for such people, when they tell me Megadeth is a crappy band and how all Mustaine can do is scream. Take a hike.

1 comment:

Hamunaptra said...

very well categorized !
I find the 'posers' pretty annoying too... especially when they try headbanging.. (believe me, they're the best definition of "off-beat ever)